Monday, April 13, 2015

The Skinny On Skinny

Today as I started into my warm up on an air dyne bike at the gym a man in his late 50's commented on my weight. "You are getting skinny again, losing weight from the baby are you?" "Did you gain much weight to begin with? It seems you're really skinny."

As always I just put a smile on my face and said, "Yeah I'm actually trying to gain weight as nursing is really taking it out of me." This is not the first time this same man has commented on my "skinny-ness." I really wish he would find something else to comment on haha. Men should know not to comment on a woman's weight! Since the birth of my first son I have struggled in the weight gain area. I chose to breastfeed both of my son's, which really helped me to shed some of my pregnancy weight.. My goal was to breastfeed for a year with both of them. David made it a year and Hyram is almost 8 months, still nursing. It is important to me that my children get the proper nutrition and health benefits from breastmilk even if it means that I in turn shed a little too much weight. Heck I eat like a pig! Not even joking! Most days I can keep up with my 225lb husband at the dining table. For real!

The struggle to pack on muscle has really started to bug me. The scale has stayed the same for about 6 months now. Although I'm more muscular than before, I do look a too skinny. When people comment on it I get discouraged because I really am trying to gain!

Skinny is not good. Fit is! There is a fear in me that people think I go to the gym to get skinny. I do not...I fear that people get the wrong idea. Even though I am eager to fuel my body correctly with proper calorie intake and nutrition, I find it hard to gain my desired weight without packing in a lot of junk food. A natural approach is my goal but right now it is looking like I may need to get on a gainer supplement.

If there is one thing you take away from this blog post, I hope you realize that my approach, efforts, and time is not spent trying to get skinny. It is not about being skinny. It is about being fit with a healthy approach. The number on the scale is merely a number. To me it is not as significant. Appearance, function, and strength are what matter. The number on the scale can bite the dust.

PS. Saying someone is too skinny is just as bad as saying someone is too fat. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment